Spinach & Barber's 1833 Cheese Souffle
Serves 6-8, depending on size of ramekins
200g / 7oz bag washed and ready to eat spinach
40g / 1½oz butter, plus extra for greasing
40g / 1½oz pain flour
300ml / ½pt milk
25g / 1oz white breadcrumbs
100g / 3½oz Barber's 1833 Vintage Reserve Cheddar, finely grated
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Freshly grated nutmeg, salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 eggs, separated
- Heat the oven to 200ºC / Gas Mark 6. Pierce the bag full of spinach in several places and microwave on full power for 1½ - 2 minutes until wilted. Leave until cool enough to handle, then squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Chop roughly.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth and then cook gently, stirring, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- Brush 6-8 ramekins or small ovenproof dishes with melted butter and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Stir most of the cheese and the mustard into the sauce and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in the egg yolks and then add the spinach.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until forming soft peaks. Take care not to allow them to become dry. Spoon 2 tablespoons of egg white into the cheese mixture.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting tin and pour in boiling water to come half way up the sides of the dishes. Bake for 10-12 minutes until well risen and golden brown, but still with a little bit of a 'wobble'.
- Serve immediately with green salad.
A PDF of this recipe can be downloaded below to save and print.