Cheddar Pasta Bake
The ultimate comfort food dish, this Cheesy Pasta Bake recipe is the perfect belly-warmer choice for the colder months. Rich, smooth and extremely cheesy, the recipe is a total cheddar fanatic pleaser!
The great thing about a classic Cheesy Pasta Bake is the endless ingredients that can be added to the dish!
Make sure you get your five-a-day by adding some fresh broccoli, tomatoes, and spinach, or why not bring out the rich and smooth taste with thick cut bacon and a handful of crushed walnuts? All make a great addition to this rich and flavoursome dish.
- Preparation and Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Skill Level: Easy
- Serves: 4
- 140g (5oz) of Westminster Sharp English Cheddar Cheese
- 280g (10oz) of Penne pasta
- 25g (1oz) of butter
- 25g (1oz) of plain flour
- 1 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard
- 300ml of full-fat whole milk
- Cook the Penne pasta (fresh if possible!) until soft and tender, drain well and put to one side.
- Turn on your grill so it gets nice and hot for cooking your cheesy bake later!
- Heat the butter in a medium sized saucepan and once melted, slowly stir in 25 grams of plain flour and cook for approximately one minute.
- Very gradually add 300ml of full-fat whole milk, stirring well as you go to ensure the mixture blends together smoothly.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, then allow it to simmer away for two minutes.
- Add one tablespoon of wholegrain mustard, Half of the Westminster Sharp English Cheddar Cheese (don’t snack on the remaining cheese…we need it later!) and a touch of salt and pepper.
- Take the Penne pasta you cooked earlier, fold it into the cheese mix and spoon into a large oven-proof dish.
- Scatter the remaining half of our sharp and tangy cheddar cheese on top of the mixture and place under the piping hot grill for three to four minutes until golden, bubbling and crunchy!